Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's a whole other language...

One of the first things that hits you when you start in the electrical industry is all the new terms that everybody else throws around that have absolutely no meaning to you. 1900, 11B, device ring, MC connector, stub 90 and the list goes on.

It doesn't take you too long to start to get a handle on all of this - mostly because you get plenty of practice when everybody's sending you down to the materials room to pick up a box of whatever they need. Pretty soon you can let the foreman know that there are no more 11B single gang 1-1/2" raise mud rings left on the job and actually know what the object you just described looks like. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that has trouble keeping 'connector' and 'coupling' straight, though.

I'm half a year into my apprenticeship and I still run into names and lingo that are new too me.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! That's hilarious because I'm four+ years in, and I still say connector when I actually mean coupling! But I think that's more of a brain-fart than anything else. I see the image of a coupling in my head, and I know I need to say coupling but "connector" still pops out. What's even more disturbing about the whole other language thing is if you find yourself at a social gathering where other electricians are around and you start "talking shop" accidentally. If you're at all observant, you might notice the non-electricians' eyes begin to glaze over. It really is all greek to them!

    ReplyDelete